Ubuntu 11.10 on an Acer Aspire One: Introduction

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ubuntu has been growing and is the most popular choice for Linux operating systems. In this series, I will install Ubuntu and play with it on my aspire one. I will try different tweaks and settings and I will try to make Ubuntu my home.

The Acer Aspire One is a netbook which essentially is on the lower end of the price range and on the lower range of processor quality. The atom isn’t near as powerful as I would have liked it to be, but with a restricted budget, netbooks like the Acer Aspire One are a foothold into cheap and portable computing.

Most tech guides advise people with old PCs that want to recycle them to install Ubuntu as it will give a new lease on life. Ubuntu is a small footprint operating system that is free and open-sourced. While it hasn't gained the popularity of Windows and Mac OS X, it certainly has been improving in performance and aesthetics. The only question remains: Can I adapt to it in my everyday life? This is where this series will go, I use Windows primarily and have had some good experiences with my Lion hackintosh on my gaming rig and my Snow Leopard experiment on the aspire one, let’s see if Ubuntu gives my netbook a new lease on life.

It is noteworthy that there are more resources available to me for the Ubuntu installation than there was for Mac OS X and as such my hypothesis is that Ubuntu will be a smooth experience. Like usual, feel free to follow my series and its guides and feel free to ask questions and in this case, suggest cool Ubuntu mods that I can look at. Like always, the comment section is below and I will try my best to explore Ubuntu to the best of my ability and tweak the operating system that is known for its different variants and customizations.

While there are other, multiple, other Linux distros out there, my advice for the Linux community is to choose its most successful, make it perfect and back it and as it stands, Ubuntu is the most reputable and best known operating system for the people who wouldn’t consider a Linux operating system as either stable enough or practical enough to call home.

Installation

  1. Preparing Ubuntu 11.10 Install Media
  2. Preparing your System for Ubuntu 11.10
  3. Installing Ubuntu 11.10
  4. Different Installation Methods of Programs
  5. Managing Partitions
  6. Triple Boot with Mac OS X and Windows (Includes Windows 8 Developer Preview)

Themes

  1. Gnome Shell 3
  2. Boomerang GTK
  3. Edgebound

Tweaks

  1. Marlin File Browser
  2. Ubuntu Tweak (Tweak Unity)
  3. Expose Launcher Icon
  4. Unity 5.0

Productivity

  1. Installing Windows Software on Ubuntu

Tips and Tricks

  1. Handy Short-cuts / Features

0 Blogger:

Post a Comment

 
Computer Software is Your Friend © 2012 | Designed by Bubble Shooter, in collaboration with Reseller Hosting , Forum Jual Beli and Business Solutions