Snow Leopard on Acer Aspire One: Part 6: Installing the Boot Loader

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Snapshot 1 (7-30-2011 6-09 PM)I performed the steps I gave you in parts 1 through 5 to make sure that you would get a satisfactory system. I then updated the kexts for the Wi-Fi and Ethernet in part 5 when I ran into the point where it recognized the Ethernet but no cord was plugged and it didn’t recognize any wireless signal. This was an honest mistake as I have quite a few kexts on my system and I wouldn’t have thought that IO80211Family.kext was the Wi-Fi kext.

Mac OS X booting in about 45 seconds on its own with no boot loader installed or used.

Now that Mac OS X is up and running, install the Netbook Installer which can be found conveniently in the applications menu on your Dock.

Once opened, click Install, and authorize everything it does.

Screen-shot-2011-08-09-at-6.23.35-PM

When complete, your boot will look like the boot in the video above.

Let me know about your progress with your Acer Aspire One in the comments section below. If you are using my tutorial on a different system but are researching the specific parts that apply to your system – since a lot of this tutorial has been general for the time being – let me know about your model and your progress installing Snow Leopard on your machine.

The next thing we will do is tweak some settings in the system to make sure that we are secure and I will also be giving tips and tricks along with recommended codecs and software for Mac’s short comings.

Continue with the series

Snow Leopard on Acer Aspire One Series

<< Previous         Next >>

8 Blogger:

Anonymous said...

Great site!
Thank for posting this series. I am now running 10.6.4 on my AOD-250.

Anonymous said...

Alright-
I do have a question though. I have tried a number of times to install the boot loader as mentioned here.
When I open the NBI app I get a warning that the device is unsupported (AOD-250). I continue and try to install anyway. It seems that the installer gets as far as "Generating Extension Caches" and hangs. After a while, it asks again for my system password to allow changes but the progress doesn't change. This process will stay that way for hours.
I am at this point trying the install with the following options:
Install Chameleon 2 NBI
Install General Extensions
Generate a system specific DSDT .aml file
Toggle Remote CD
Fix Bluetooth

I have tried with other options unselected too, where I was just trying to get the boot loader set. Although the install went through with just the 'Install Chameleon 2 NBI' ticked, after rebooting it was evident that it didn't take.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Jamie

Julian said...

@aintnobodygonnareadthis It will tell you that the device is not supported - you can ignore that - as you did. Did you let the install finish? The NBI Install on the AOD-250 is a bit long and it does seem like it is going nowhere, but it actually did work and if not, the trick is re installation. Let me know if that works for you; NBI didn't give me a big problem until the later updates where you had no choice but to choose it only as it would have this knack of killing the OS X installation.

Anonymous said...

Hey Julian,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Yah, I let it finish and soon thereafter, it all went kind of haywire.
I've been messing with this thing for a while now. So far I've come to the point where I've killed my Windows install (couldn't access it with NBI... beef dump error. What the...)and am going for the experience of having an all Mac netbook. 160GB of pure Apple goodness. Really excited about it as it seems to work rather well.
I have been able to update to 10.6.4, but cannot get passed there as I continually have kernel panics that I don't know how to deal with.
I'm going to keep at it, but I figured I'd ask if you were able to get to 10.6.8 on your project.
Further than that I am confused about the two partitions you reference later in the post for upgrading. If you could elaborate on that; like what size would you recommend and how to go back and forth to 'fix' things.
Anyway thanks again.
This is fun,
Jamie

Julian said...

@aintnobodygonnareadthis Kernel panics... that usually happens if you have sleep enabler installed.

As for 2 partitions, a small one and a big one... the big one is the one that will be up to date and the small one is the one you will use to update it and fix problems. What I mean is that if you install a kext and it fails, you would go in your small one and delete the kext you installed in the other hard drive.

In order to update to 10.6.8, you need to update to 10.6.7 and then in 10.6.8 reinstall the kexts that break as per 10.6.7 in the case of graphics. Any questions on this will be addressed on that post.

alex said...

this bootloader takes along time i thought it had bricked my laptop for a sec froze at bios splash for a good min

alex said...

now it wont boot and sometimes completely freezes the bios cant evan press f2

Julian said...

@alexAre you on an Aspire One? Try using Chimera bootloader. Installation is straight forward - otherwise it is available in Multibeast. If you continue to get NDB, reinstall Mac and when you reformat the partition, there are more settings or security settings, choose the one just after the one that is selected and it will not only format the partition it will delete some settings that don't get wiped off when you format, then reinstall Mac and install Chimera.

Post a Comment

 
Computer Software is Your Friend © 2012 | Designed by Bubble Shooter, in collaboration with Reseller Hosting , Forum Jual Beli and Business Solutions